BOOTS!!!
EW loves, loves, loves these boots. (As she should since we spent longer shopping for them and paid more than I usually do on footwear for myself.) This is to my advantage! If I need a threat or a bribe, the boots are there... "If you don't do as you have been asked RIGHT NOW, you won't be able to wear your boots to school tomorrow." OR "If you hurry and finish your dinner, you can wear your boots to the meeting tonight." etc... Its GREAT!! She thinks she's winning, because she gets to wear the boots, and I KNOW I'm winning because she is faster to listen and act when I attach the "boot clause" to my request.
So who needs "Santa Clause" when you have the "boot clause"??? Not me! (and not EW, either)
5 comments:
I do the same thing...except we use the park as leverage! Sometimes a parent just needs a little extra help!
Hi Martha, First of all let me say a tardy congrats on the fantastic blog. And thanks to Joe for his reflections on life in South Africa, a friend of mine is moving to Cape Town and when I told her how fabulous you all thought it was she was very relieved to hear some positive thoughts.
As for Leverage, I love it, I tend to call it bribery, but leverage is a much nicer way of putting it! We usually choose the object of the moment (for Caiti it is "high shoes", she's still a shoe girl like Evee).
I am sooo surprised about your comments about the big old jolly fella. I never met anyone as excited about Christmas as you (even if it didn't feel like Christmas that first year on Groote - remember the Caroles?). For us it is not about the gratitude, we love, love, love the magic of the girls getting awesome gifts from Santa that they never thought they could possibly get (we kind of lead them that way, I admit), and we try to get them something we know they will love but wasn't actually something they had asked for so that they'll always think "how did santa know?"... ok, so I eavesdrop on a lot of conversations in Nov/Dec!!
We figure one day they will work it all out be belatedly grateful for not only the gifts but also the mystery and excitement. That said we do get them pretty good gifts from us too! :-P
LOL- There is nothing wrong with a little leverage. I do call it leverage...not bribery!
She is just so cute! I can't get over it Martha.
Those are the cutest boots.
Post a Comment